THE MEERCROFT FACILITY
Meercroft is an autonomous, not for profit organisation and the Constitution of the Home provides that the Home is run by a Board of Governance. Meercroft is approximately two kilometres from the Devonport Post Office and is situated in Clements Street, overlooking Bass Strait. Throughout its history Meercroft has been dependent on contributions from various service organisations and donations and bequests from private people. The Federal and State Governments have made large contributions in both Capital and Recurrent costs and Meercroft has been actively supported by its Auxiliary and it’s Staff Fundraising Committee. It therefore represents the whole stratum of the Community. Our complex being the first Home of the Aged in Devonport opened in 1959 with 8 cottages. There have been numerous extensions and renovations over the years culminating in a major redevelopment of the facility in 2001/2002 and a further redevelopment of the kitchen in 2007. In 2010/11, 9 x 2 bedroom independent living units were built on the corner of Clements and North Streets. A new wing consisting of 18 beds was constructed in 2011/12 and opened for its first residents in June 2012.
At present we operate in seven sections represented by:-